How to Pick Up a Powerful Topic to Explore in an MBA Thesis Paper
The time has come in your MBA curriculum to begin your thesis paper. Choosing a topic is sometimes the most difficult part, and it is also one of the most important parts. A good topic helps you to create an interesting paper, but there are more things a good topic can do, as well:
- A good topic allows you to showcase your knowledge
- A good topic is well known enough that there are resources available for research, yet has not been over written, allowing you to create a unique piece of work.
- A good topic allows you to present a solid case for your thesis.
Choosing the Right Topic
Choosing your topic may seem overwhelming, since there are likely numerous ones from which to choose. There are some ways to narrow your topic to help you choose one that is right.
- Choose a topic within your area of expertise, or an area you've given extensive study in your curriculum.
- Choose a topic in the area where you plan to focus your career.
- Think of a thesis that is on trend or creating a lot of discussion in an industry where you have interest.
When you've narrowed your list of topics, talk to a favorite professor to help narrow the list even further. Your professor has read numerous thesis papers over the years; he or she can give you an idea of which topics on your list are best.
Be careful to consider the research available on a given area before you choose. If there is little or no research available, you'll have a hard time crafting your paper.
Once you've narrowed your topics to two or three, create a thesis statement and outline for these last topics. Doing so will help you to really focus in on the point you would make for each topic and see the evidence you have to support your argument.
Don't undervalue passion and instinct. All of the suggestions above offer very objective ways to pick a subject. However, if there is a subject about which you are very passionate, it should be on the list. If you can support your argument with research, it may be the very best topic for you, since you will enjoy the process of writing about something you care about.